Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Descartes's Secret Notebook: A True Tale of Mathematics, Mysticism, and the Quest to Understand the Universe

Descartes's Secret Notebook by Amir D. Aczel

I quickly finished Descartes' Secret Notebook by Amir Aczel. This non-fiction work follows Descartes' life and explores a secret, encrypted, notebook Descartes kept, why he kept it, and what it included. Living at the time of the Inquisition and hearing of Galileo's "trial" one can imagine why he kept some things secret. The shame is what we as a society may have lost as a result.

I knew of Descarte as a philosopher and was aware of his work in mathematics, but hadn't quite realized how brilliant in so many fields outside philosophy he was.

Aczel does make the story move and most important, he does an excellent job of explaining the significance of Descartes' work in an easy to understand manner.

I enjoyed this book so much I'm sure I'll read many more of Aczel's books which feature the giants of science and mathematics.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Descartes's Secret Notebook.