Carrie's Reviews > The Warrior's Apprentice

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: ebook, humorous, kindle, read-2012, science-fiction, sfr-reading-challenge-2012
Read from March 12 to April 12, 2012

SFR Reading Challenge 2012 7/15
Free from the Baen Free Library.

I admit I wasn't as pulled into this one as early or as powerfully as the other Vorkosigan books I've read so far, but this was also the first on I hadn't listened to on audio. I did find the middle section of the book somewhat convoluted and had trouble keeping the (many) characters and factions straight. But I have to marvel at how much detail Bujold puts into her books, and how layered the plots and characters are. Amazing, really. Just when you want to dub the series "light," Bujold throws in something sobering and very, very disturbing.

Miles is a great character, and I liked seeing him at what is essentially the beginning of his story. I love the humor, and I like that Miles, while the "hero" of the tale and obviously a likeable person, is definitely not perfect or blameless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warrior's Apprentice.

04/11/2012
80.0% "Picked this back up yesterday and got sucked into it again. Will finish it this time."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura (Kyahgirl) i hope you enjoy this book. I love, love, love Miles Vorkosigan. Between him and the King of Attolia I'm not sure who is my favorite hero :-)

Carrie I've read (listened to on audio, actually) Shards of Honor and Komarr. I loved them both--5 star books for me. I'm enjoying this one, too. I'm trying to read several of the earlier Miles books before I go back and read A Civil Campaign, which is assigned as my book club read for June. I read Komarr to get the back story for A Civil Campaign, but I hadn't expected to love it so much, so I decided to go back to the beginning.

Laura (Kyahgirl) smart move! :-) I am going to re-read this series. I haven't read Cryoburn yet but want to refresh my memory.

I am recalling that I owe you something too..I think you asked my about buried treasure some time back and I never answered. I will get on it.

Laura (Kyahgirl) oh and by the way, A Civil Campaign is by far the funniest of the books in this series. Some of them are quite grim but that one had my busting a gut. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Carrie Laura wrote: "smart move! :-) I am going to re-read this series. I haven't read Cryoburn yet but want to refresh my memory.

Yes, thank you! (about the buried treasure)

And I'm sooo looking forward to A Civil Campaign. I loved getting to know Ekaterin in Komarr.

Laura (Kyahgirl) Miles makes me laugh...he has a lot gall! Just when you think he's painted himself into a corner he pulls a rabbit out the hat and wiggles free. There is fun to be had, but, you're right, some pretty dark stuff and tense moments happen too.

Carrie Laura (Kyahgirl) wrote: "Miles makes me laugh...he has a lot gall! Just when you think he's painted himself into a corner he pulls a rabbit out the hat and wiggles free. There is fun to be had, but, you're right, some pr..."

Yep, Miles is special! I just downloaded The Vor Game from audible. I enjoy Bujold no matter what, but the narrator on this series is super and the audiobooks make enjoying Miles even better!