Peacegal's Reviews > The Cats in the Doll Shop

The Cats in the Doll Shop by Yona Zeldis McDonough

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: humane-education, library-gifts
Read on July 13, 2012

Young fans of the American Girl series will be charmed by The Cats in the Doll Shop. The story, set in WWI-era New York, not only introduces youngsters to a potentially unfamiliar historical era, it also imparts humane values and compassion.

The author’s writing is capable enough that she can sustain the attention of child and adult readers alike. I was surprised to find myself not wanting to put this book down after frightened and withdrawn cousin Tania arrives from Russia. Among the humane education ideas presented in this story are: the importance of compassion for those who are different from us, the fact that animals are not always treated well and our ability to change things for the better, the ability of animals to transform life for the better for the humans who care for them, and the fact that old beliefs and traditions can change for a kinder world.

This story does contain a scene of animal cruelty which was inspired by a real-life incident witnessed by the author. The scene is, however, handled carefully, and the overall theme is that although we cannot always control what others do, we can do our part to make things right again.

I purchased this book for my library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cats in the Doll Shop.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Oh, I'm glad you liked this one. I really like these books and hope that there will be more of them.