Elizabeth's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: supernatural, urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read from March 08 to 09, 2012

I've read a couple of Kelley Armstrong's other books, Bitten and Stolen, and really liked them. When Audible had this one on sale for under $5 I snapped it up thinking it was a sure-fire winner. And I enjoy books that are in series in general. Same characters, new situations, furthering the plotlines.

And the story here is good. Maya is 16. She lives in a very small town on Vancouver Island. Her father is a ranger on a park reserve. She is close to her parents. She loves the wild life available and seems to have a gift in healing the injured ones. She is pragmatic, respects nature and appears content in her life.

Then, like a pebble in your shoe, things begin to go slightly off. Not in a your world is turned completely upside down kind of way. But subtly. At first not noticeably . Her best friend, an extremely strong swimmer drowns. Then she starts have weird dreams. And cougars are hanging around her. You know, the usual.

Armstrong has a set of characters that are interesting and likable. And I care about them and want to know what will happen.

When I read a series, I know there will be certain plot lines that will float from book to book. I get that. That is one of the things that keeps me excited about reading each installment. However, I really want the individual plot of this volume to be wrapped up. And in the Women of the other world, she did that. But not here. This book just ended like a B Movie serial on a Saturday afternoon. When I am late to discover a series that is okay because I'm usually several volumes behind. But not this time. The next book is supposed to be out sometime in 2012? I wish I had paid more attention because I would have waited.

That doesn't mean this book is awful and I won't downgrade the star rating or anything. But I figure I owe it to you to warn you.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.