IndyPL Kids Book Blog's Reviews > Reel Life Starring Us

1989721
Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: kid-life
Read in September, 2011

I know you’ve read this kind before - the story of the girl or girls trying to be popular or at the very least fitting in. This book is the quest for popularity…in reverse. Dina is starting a new school and is used to being liked; to being popular, at least, used to being popular enough.

“This whole starting-a-new-school thing would be easier if I had a T-shirt that stated the truth, or a removable tattoo on my forehead, or something, just so peple would know: I was cool at my old school. Really, I was. Yeah, it was a private school with fifty kids in the grade. Everyone was artsy in his or her own way. And it wasn’t very cliquey. But I was cool. People liked me. Shouldn’t it be automatic that if I was someone there, I’d be someone here, too?” (pages 1-2)

After her fist day Dina finds out that it isn’t automatic and that being liked, well, it takes a lot of work. When Dina gets paired with the school queen bee Chelsea for a video project she’s sure this is her ticket into Chelsea’s group - the “in” group. But the project takes both girls to a place they never thought they’d go - up close and personal with kids they never even knew existed: the knitters, the guitar players, the t-shirt collectors, the cartoon obsessed, and the kid who is compelled to arrive at school every morning at 7:43am. Exactly. And this new place, this other place, it’s really pretty interesting. The girls take a good hard look at what cool is and are surprised at what they find. Author: Lisa Greenwald

For more: http://www.imcpl.org/kids/blog/?p=11105

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reel Life Starring Us.