Araventhy Nanthanan's Reviews > The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories

The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories by M.R. James

Mar 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

You know how quite a lot horror stories are graphic and sometimes inventive in it's goriness? This wasn't like that. This was surprisingly freaky in terms of scariness. It had ghosts, evil spirits, black magic, revenge, accidental curses...it had everything usual. What made it work though, was the author's distinctive writing style. It was witty but still able to convey the horror of the characters, so much so that when the main character of each short story, regardless of the fact that you've only just met them one page ago, was in danger, you started to feel panicked that the end was indeed nigh for them - and for gods sake, why didn't they just leave well enough alone??

Though to be honest with you, I related to the characters because I think I would have done more or less everything they did in their situation....I'm being very ague here because I don't want to spoil any of the fantastic short stories. So go, shoo! Read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunted Dolls' House and Other Ghost Stories.