IndyPL Kids Book Blog's Reviews > Eliza's Freedom Road: An Underground Railroad Diary

Eliza's Freedom Road by Jerdine Nolen

1989721
Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in February, 2012

Eliza is a slave on a tobacco plantation in Alexandria, Virginia in the 1850s. Eliza is unusual because she has been taught to read and write. Eliza keeps a diary of her life on the plantation and she is a good storyteller.

Eliza tells about how it felt when her mother was sold away. She tells about how scared she is when she hears Sir’s boots walking toward her. Her words make her experiences feel real while you reading her diary. I felt scared when Eliza felt scared. Just thinking about the sound of the boots, “thump, thump, thump” gives me shivers.

Eliza overhears a conversation about herself before an upcoming slave auction:

“Late in the day, a man came to see Sir. When I passed through the parlor I heard him say something to Sir about the price I would fetch. I pretended I did not hear the talk. But I am in so much fear.” page 29

Eliza decides it is time to run. She has a quilt her mother made that has pictures in it. The pictures, a mysterious women called the Conductor and a series of friends help Eliza find her way to freedom on the Underground Railroad. This is a great book if you want to feel like you are right there, hearing and seeing and feeling the same things that Eliza heard and saw and felt. Author: Jerdine Nolen

For more: http://www.imcpl.org/kids/blog/?p=12008

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eliza's Freedom Road.