Laurie's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Mar 06, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Enchanted by the quote on an introductory page:

"But we only called the fire brigade, and soon the fire engine came and three tall men in helmets brought a house into the house and Mr. Prothero got out just in time befure they turned it on. Nobody could have had a noisier Christmas Eve. And then the firemen turned off the hose and were standing in the wet, smoky room, Jim's Aunt, Miss. Prothero, came downstairs and peered in at them. Jim and I waited, very quietly, to hear what she would say to them. She said the right thing, always. She looked at the three tall fireman in their shining helmets, standing among the smoke and cinders and dissolving snowballs, and she said, "Would you like anything to read?"
From Dylan Thomas', A Child's Christmas in Wales.

This is the story of three adult sisters who all come back to their childhood home, where reading is the passion and, because their father is a professor of Shakespeare, quotes from the Bard pepper every conversation ("Weird sisters" itself being from MacBeth). Each sister is dealing with their own personal disappointments, as well as the illness of their mother. (Ok, this makes it sound very dreary, but it is not). It was interestingly written in the first person plural, which works here as "the sisters" are the single narrator. This was a fun read for me personally as one of three sisters and my mother-in-law was a Shakespearean scholar/professor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.