Rebecca's Reviews > Bambi

Bambi by Felix Salten

Aug 01, 08

bookshelves: faves

One of my most wept over books. Depicts humanity as divorced from grace.

*swears vengence on Disney desecration*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bambi.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martine (new) - added it

Martine Blimey. I had no idea the film was based on a book.

*adds*

Rebecca Martine, the book's soooo superior. The film left out a main character.

Aside from Blyton, what were your fave childhood reads?

message 3: by Martine (last edited Aug 01, 2008 01:26AM) (new) - added it

Martine OK, I'll give it a try.

*promises*

Apart from a few Dutch classics with which I won't bother you (but which I still read and enjoy a lot), I was all about Astrid Lindgren and fairy tales as a child. I had a magnificent twelve-volume set of fairy tales from all over the world, many with stunning illustrations. I spent hours reading those fairy tales and trying to replicate the illustrations (and failing miserably -- somehow my etheral fairy princesses always came out looking fat and unelegant). But honestly, if I had to sum up my childhood in one word, it would be 'Blyton'. No doubt about it.

What were your childhood favourites? Other than Bambi and some Blyton books, I mean?

Rebecca Was your twelve volume collection Andrew Lang's coloured fairybooks?

Faves of mine were: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Phoenix and the Carpet, The Box of Delights & Oscar Wilde's fairytales. Do you like any of those?

message 5: by Martine (new) - added it

Martine As far as I can tell (I haven't got the books here -- they're at my parents' because I've run out of bookshelves) my fairy-tale books are not the Andrew Lang books. I'll check on my next visit to my parents.

I've never read any of the books you just mentioned, but I've made a note of them. I'll get round to them eventually...

Have you read The Railway Children? I've heard good things about that.

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 01, 2008 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca You never read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe??? *aghast* That's childhood deprivation.

I never cared for The Railway Children. Too mundane. Go for The Phoenix and the Carpet instead. *insists* Tis by the same author.

Oh, others I revered were The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Peter Pan, Andersen's fairytales.

Do you have favourite fairytales, Martine?

message 7: by Martine (last edited Aug 01, 2008 11:12AM) (new) - added it

Martine Nope, I've never read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I'm not even ashamed to admit it! C.S. Lewis is not the household name in Holland that he is in the Anglo-Saxon world. Prior to the release of the first Narnia film, I only knew three people in Holland who had read Lewis. One of them was born into an English family and therefore doesn't count*; the second one was a Tolkien fan who had read that Tolkien and Lewis were friends and wanted to try the other guy's stuff; and the third had... well, let's say she had a peculiar upbringing.** The only other people I knew who had ever heard of Lewis were cinephiles who had seen Shadowlands. (Which I have seen. Twice.) So you see, I think I can be forgiven for not having read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I'll get round to it eventually, but right now it's not a priority. Don't you start making me feel deprived!

At the risk of shocking you even more, I haven't read The Secret Garden, either. I know it's a classic, but I just haven't got round to it yet. I love Peter Pan and Andersen's fairy tales, though.

I've added The Phoenix and the Carpet to my to-read list. Which do you want me to read first? This or the Faraway Tree series? :-)

As for my favourite fairy tales, let me get back to you after I've checked out those books at my parents'. It's been a while since I read them...

-----------

* for the purposes of this argument!

** by Dutch standards.

Rebecca Oh, don't judge The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by the film. That director could rob mundanity of its magic.

*growls in his direction*

I'd go for The Phoenix and the Carpet before The Faraway Tree series. That bird is so loveable.
*wipes tear*

message 9: by Martine (last edited Aug 01, 2008 12:32PM) (new) - added it

Martine Christ, Abigail, how many more books do you want me to add to the pile? This is getting out of hand...

*looks at size of to-read list and weeps in despair*

Seriously, though, thanks for pointing out that the Nesbit books are in fact a series. I'm adding all three books to my list. I don't know when I'll find the time for them, but I will, eventually.

*looks at size of to-read list and weeps in despair again*

Rebecca, you'll be relieved to hear I haven't seen either of the two Narnia films. I looked at the trailers and went, 'Nah.' Don't think I'll be seeing them any time soon.

I look forward to making the acquaintance of that supposedly loveable Phoenix of yours!

*tells cat to behave*

Rebecca You don't have to read the entire trilogy. The Phoenix is best. *nods*

message 11: by Martine (new) - added it

Martine Heh. Well, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for helping me save time. :-)

message 12: by Martine (last edited Aug 02, 2008 05:31AM) (new) - added it

Martine Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

*bangs head against desk and screams*

I have a feeling we'll all be eaten by sharks before we ever hit the bottom of the ocean. It won't be fun. No, not at all.

Now, are you going to add Peter Pan to your list, dear? :-)

message 13: by Martine (new) - added it

Martine :-)

Isn't Goodreads a horrible place?

Kelly Alas! Walt's infamous crime is everlasting, or so it seems to me. Good thing we read the book first, non(at least most of the time)?