First Second Books's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Mar 06, 2012

bookshelves: gina

I’m the first to admit that I find England during World War II fascinating – Michelle Magorian’s fiction about evacuated children is still a favorite. So I expected this teen WWII spy novel set in England to strike a chord (especially as it’s by Elizabeth Wein, who in the past has managed to write Arthurian fantasy and make it novel, a feat I had thought impossible), and it did, in spades.

This book is remarkable.

First: it’s a girl story, about two girls involved in the war effort during WWII. Yay that! It’s so nice to read fiction where girls are doing something other than knitting for people or taking care of aged relatives. In this book there are girls who fly planes!

Second: it’s a friendship story, about two girls involved in the war effort who become best friends. Friendship stories are the best thing – especially since now they seem to be in such decline compared to love stories.

Third: also there’s a plot, which is very well done. I will leave this for now because the book’s not out yet and clearly you should read it for yourselves.

Elizabeth Wein invests the characters and the situations of this book with so much emotion that I stayed up much too late to finish this book. And then I couldn’t go to sleep because everything was still so vivid and present in my mind. Why is this book not yet out so I can give copies to all the people who should read it?
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

Lynn Thank you for this review. I love Elizabeth Wein's work. She deserves so much more acclaim. I'm with you in being fascinated with books set in this time period and now cannot wait to get to this one!

Lynn Rutan

message 2: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest Sounds excellent. I've heard lots of good things about Elizabeth Wein's books and would like to read the Arthurian set at some point, too. I very much like friendship stories too, so I'm glad for what you say about this.

Estara Asakiyume, (considering what I know of your tastes via your comments on sartorias' LJ) you will LOVE this! You could get a UK copy via bookdepository.com - they send practically worldwide and add shipping in the buying price so you know exactly how much you pay.

message 4: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest Estara wrote: "Asakiyume, (considering what I know of your tastes via your comments on sartorias' LJ) you will LOVE this! You could get a UK copy via bookdepository.com - they send practically worldwide and add s..."

Estara, thank you! I will do so next chance I get!

Estara It does come out in May in the US and Canada, too, though ^^. Sartorias hasn't read it yet because of the "prisoner in Nazi hands" aspect, she said. She has added it to her to-read list, though. I can totally understand that reason.

Laura yea, couldn't sleep thinking about it too.