Laura's Reviews > Advent

Advent by James Treadwell

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from March 06 to 19, 2012

The premise for this book sounded like it had some real promise for me and even though I'm not a usual big fan of the very high fantasy genre (just because I lack the attention span to follow it all) I was intrigued enough to give Advent a read. The lovely people at Hodder offered to send me a copy and I was quite excited when it arrived. I was apprehensive straight away because not only is the book about 400 plus pages but the font size was teeny tiny for my eyes. However; I try to not judge a book by it's cover and so I'll try not to judge a story by it's page count too.

The plot is generally slow with blips of action here and there and is spilt between the present day story of Gavin, a strange teen boy that see's an old lady who shouldn't be there, and his visit to his aunt who lives in a far away part of Cornwall. His aunt never arrives to collect him at the station and it's from here that things begin to get ever stranger for Gavin as he meets the people in the village and the mysteries begin to unfold. The other story is hundreds of year before gavin is even born but seems to be linked to his story in some way as a high rank player in the arts of magic finds love and power but which of the true holds his heart is the real puzzle of his tale.

I struggled with this book mainly because it just didn't have a real hook that grabbed me. I like the story and how James Treadwell painted a glorious picture of the English landscape and the history within it but for me it was a heavy going read. I didn't connect to the characters so didn't feel compelled to keep reading about what was happening to them. It took until nearly half way into the book for a real shift in the story and personally that was too long to wait. I wanted to like this book because I liked the idea of the story and the two parallel lives that intertwined somehow but just couldn't get to grips with it.

If you like you fantasy and stories that have great descriptive prose within it's pages then this is probably for you but it just wasn't my cup of tea sadly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Advent.

03/06/2012 page 7
03/10/2012 page 170
38.0% "Not sure if this is my sort of book really. Just SO much detail"
show 8 hidden updates…