Alison's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Jul 05, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Don't miss this one.

Halloween is Auggie's favorite holiday, because he can wear a mask. August Pullman, or Auggie to his family and friends, is an ordinary kid in most ways. He was born with facial deformities, and despite countless surgeries, he still looks different on the outside. On the inside, where few people are allowed, he is funny and smart and so so brave. Auggie embarks on a journey much more scary than any surgery - the 5th grade.

You will be hard-pressed to find any character as courageous as Auggie in children's literature this year. RJ Palacio gifts her readers with a fast-paced, heart-wrenching, honest look at a great family who was dealt a great challenge.

Told from different points of view, the reader not only gets to see inside Auggie's mind, but that of his sister, his friends, and even someone who sees his situation from afar. The role of the sister really got to me (those of you who know me understand why this is so) and I applaud RJ Palacio for giving her such an honest voice.

One of the most powerful parts of the book was not how loudly the other kids made fun of Auggie, it was how QUIET they were. It sucks to be called names, but it's even worse to be ignored. The kids at school had a secret game called The Plague, which was compared to the Cheese Touch. No one could touch Auggie without getting The Plague. The thing is, all the kids thought he didn't know...how could he not? This is bullying that no one sees coming. It's hard to identify, and even harder to stop, but it hurts the worst.

WONDER has stuck with me since I read it, and there are so many scenes I could point to and gush all over, but I don't want to give anything away. (The Precepts!!!) Do yourself a favor - read the book, give it to a middle grader to read, and then talk about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

message 1: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) you are on a reviewing roll today! All the new and goodies too!

Alison I'm catching up! Thanks for bearing with me today!!

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny (Literary Hoarders) no! Thank you!! :-) We're pitching Gone Girl for our book club tonight - your review will help to make it the pick for the next meeting!!

Alison Oh, GREAT choice!