Aaron's Reviews > A Darkness More Than Night

A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly

Mar 12, 12

Read from March 06 to 09, 2012

I will concede a bit of trepidation when I saw that the main character of this novel was Terry McCaleb. Blood Work, the previous novel to include this character, was the first Connelly novel that left me less than impressed. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my initial fears were wrong.

Two mysteries here: One in which Harry Bosch is a key witness for the prosecution. Another in which McCaleb has been called in to consult. Naturally, over the course of the book, the two crimes end up being related and our heroes end up working together. Nice character work between the two. McCaleb being more by the book than my good friend Bosch leads to some damn fine moments.

Ultimately, though, I was let down by the final mystery. It's too complicated for anyone to get away with. Rather, if you're smart enough to pull this off, then you're probably smart enough to do it without getting caught. Also, I don't like a key plot element-- in which McCaleb sees something totally innocuous, something that's clearly been missed by every investigator on this case so far, and says, "Hey! This means something!" and then turns out to be correct.

I don't buy it.

It is cool, though, that finally Connelly does something with his main protagonist's surname being the same as a well-known painter.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darkness More Than Night.