Kathryne's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

May 17, 12

bookshelves: may-2012, 2012-debut-author-challenge
Read from May 04 to 08, 2012

I honestly didn't know what I was getting myself into when I borrowed this audiobook from the library. I'd read some good reviews and knew it was a dystopian book, but I had no idea how amazing this book actually is! The book summary doesn't really do the book enough justice.

I personally enjoyed having the story alternate between the views of June and Day. They are both rather similar characters set in completely different situations, and that stark contrast between privileged prodigy and wanted criminal (Robin Hood style) really added something to this story. I liked reading all sides of the spectrum. The only trouble is that sometimes, they are so similar they can be indistinguishable (this is not a problem with the audiobook as there are alternating male and female narrators). I really enjoyed it when they were together and it's when they start really working together toward a common goal that the book becomes seriously action packed.

The plot, while quicker in the end, is actually comparatively quick throughout the book. There isn't a shortness of action with illegal street fights and mastermind crimes just like in the action movies. The world building itself brings the edge of action to the book. The dystopian society, The Republic, is at war with the other half of the former United States. It's this constant strain of war that had led to this incredibly detailed militaristic country of which June was raised around and Day was raised against. I hope we learn more in the books to come.

Overall, this book was action-packed, fast, and pretty heart-felt at times. I'd recommend it to a reader interested in militaristic dystopian societies and a lot of book action. I enjoyed it, and if you don't mind multiple narrators, you will too!

*Audio Review*: I thought the two narrators, one male, one female, was really helpful (though, to be honest there isn't any other way). It was read at a good pace and I liked the female voice. The male voice was a little boring to me.

As seen on Paperback Fantasies.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

05/04/2012
50.0% "I'm listening to this on audiobook!"