Amanda's Reviews > Eve of Destruction

Eve of Destruction by Patrick Carman

F 50x66
Mar 13, 12

Read on March 06, 2012

When I first saw that there was going to be a sequel to Dark Eden, I wasn't sure what to think. I really didn't know how there could be a sequel, considering how the first book was put together and how it ended. The ending, though not too perfect for the good guys, pretty much tied up all the loose ends and left little for any subsequent novels (unless, perhaps, it involved different characters). I was still optimistic, however, since I enjoyed Dark Eden so much. Though some would say that the plot is thin, I really enjoyed the semi-horror-like feel of the book and the fast-paced thrills (not to mention the Poe references), so I thought Dark Eden 2 was worth a try.

In Dark Eden 2, all of the teens who had their phobias cured, even Will, have been called back to Fort Eden -and no one knows why. It's not long until they find themselves trapped in the Fort once again, and find themselves as nothing but the playthings of others in a much larger -and deadlier -game. It's up to Will to get everyone safely out of the Fort, though the need for revenge is hard to resist.

Dark Eden 2 partially fell into the trap that I was concerned it would: essentially repeating the same story as the first book. Only this time, the point of view didn't switch between each character and the characters weren't nearly as compelling since their they've already worked through their issues. I really felt like, this time, the story was somewhat of a rehash without much new material -at least not enough to warrant a sequel in my opinion.

Despite this, I was still flipping through pages to see what would happen next. Carman still brings his signature thrills to each page, and kept me enthralled until the end. So, not a complete loss, but I feel like Dark Eden 2 really missed some opportunities and just doesn't stand up to the first book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve of Destruction.

Mary Deborde My thoughts exactly! While enjoyable, I feel like it didn't live up to its potential.