Nikki Brandyberry's Reviews > Demon Hunting in the Deep South

Demon Hunting in the Deep South by Lexi George

Jul 23, 12

Read from June 10 to 14, 2012

I don’t even know where to start with this review because I don’t know how to describe this book at all. I really enjoyed the book but it was so strikingly different then anything I have read that my mind is boggled with how to write this.

The way in which the book is wrote is something between present and historical. Evie being present day and Ansgar being a old world demon hunter. His speech has a old flavor to it but his attempt at modern speech/slang often leads to funny comments from him as he tries to acclimate.

I did not read the first book in the series, Demon Hunting In Dixie, but Evie and Ansgar played a vital role because by the time this book begins they have fallen in love and Ansgar has disappeared taking all his memories of them together with him after having to turn Evie who had been shot by an arrow to the chest. She has no memories of their time together though she feels an odd ache that she can’t explain. Reading the first book isn’t something you have to do, as evident from me.

When she is framed for the murder of her high school nemesis, Ansgar reappears in her life and woos her all over again in order to keep her safe. He was endearing in his fierce protectiveness of Evie, even when she didn’t know he was there. Ansgar is cunning, sexy and strong but his soft side with Evie was what really made me love him. He was thoughtful with her and went to great lengths to get her to see herself as he saw her.

Along with a whole crew of secondary characters, Ansgar’s brother and even a ghostie or two Evie sets out to prove her innocence. Filled with so much over the top snarkiness and witty comebacks I found myself constantly cracking up.

Meredith and her horrible self really spiced up the book for me. Her ghostly self didn’t seem to be much different then her human self and her horrible attitude brought a flavor to the book it would have been lacking otherwise. I loved when Evie finally stood up to the woman who made her entire life hell.

The interactions between characters are hilarious, well thought out and just….fun! I laughed through the entire book and with diddies like these, who can blame me?

“That Snippet feller called me a Chunky Monkey and asked me didn’t I want to eat his banana”

“One’s bad enough, but two? They’re like twin orgasms on legs.”

“He’s a catch and that’s for sure, although, I hear he has a little dick”

“Your poor husband must have scraped his pecker raw against that bony backbone of yours”

“She makes my butt wanna suck a lemon and spit the seeds”

The one complaint I have about the book has nothing to do with the author and more to do with the publishing house. The book spends a lot of time on Evie’s psyche. She was taunted as a child for being overweight or just not thin and that continued through adulthood because of Meredith and her cronies. Ansgar is continually telling her over and over again how beautiful her full figure is and how much he loves her personality as well as her hips and curves. Evie eventually begins to realize this and her self esteem begins the slow climb upwards towards exceptance of her self image. Then the publisher goes and put some skinny chick on the cover. WHAT?! The entire book is about her body image and self worth, lol, and then you shoot down the books message by placing the obligatory hot skinny chick on the cover? Not cool cover people…..not cool.

Demon Hunting In The Deep South is a light-hearted, fun read that is sure to bring a smile to your face! George has hooked me with this one and I will definitely be checking out her future books!

I give Demon Hunting In The Deep South by Lexi George 4.50 stars!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Hunting in the Deep South.

06/12/2012 page 204
61.0% "This book is outrageous lol...loving it so far."
show 1 hidden update…