Carien's Reviews > Discount Armageddon

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

May 13, 12

bookshelves: uf

This book sounded like a nice read, but I will confess I was a bit afraid to pick it up. I had tried to read Feed, another book by McGuire (written under the name Mira Grant), and couldn't really get into that one, so I was afraid Discount Armageddon might be a miss as well. But then I was lucky enough to win this book in a giveaway, sparing me from making the difficult decision whether I should or shouldn't buy it.

And this is such a fun book!
It's full of action, humor and weird creatures.

It has a very different voice than Feed, much lighter and with a faster pacing. I really liked Verity, even though she's a bit too cocky at times and acts before thinking. And I fell totally in love with the Aeslin Mice Verity has living in her apartment. The mice might not have had any important role in the story, they were great in setting the mood for the story and in helping with the world building.

Storywise there were a few shortcuts and easy solutions (my bad guy detector was right on the money), but overall I really enjoyed this story and could easily ignore the minor flaws. The humorous style and the fast pacing made it an easy and fast read which was difficult to put down once I was invested in the story and characters.

I will most certainly keep an eye out for the next book in this series and I might give McGuire's October Daye series a try as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discount Armageddon.