Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

To be honest, as I was getting ready to finish up my read of Insurgent, I'd already assumed that there wasn't much I needed to say about the book. I liked it fine but wasn't as engaged as I was while reading Divergent. After taking a spin through my friend's reviews, it appears that with the exception of a couple of people, I am in the minority in saying that this one didn't hook me the same way as the first installment did, putting me in the "yes, I probably fail for not agreeing with the majority" corner. In fact, I do believe that most of you liked the second book better than the first, so I must really be off this time.

So...anyway... I figured that I'd start up the review, say a few brief words to summarize (I know, brief and review is sort of a contradiction when referring to anything I write) and then throw up some random ridiculous picture as filler because something might be needed to liven up what I figured was going to be a short and boring review.

Then I opened my ereader to check out whatever passages I'd highlighted and realized that there might actually be things I wanted to say in my review. For the love of all that is good, someone needs to take away my ability to highlight and take notes. You all might have had a one paragraph review from me (I'm not even joking) if this had been the case.

First let me open with what I think was a positive. The stakes have been raised in this book. We saw lies, betrayals and personality shifts. I think this one passage sums up what Tris and Four (I refuse to call him Tobias) struggled with in regard to how they viewed each other and those who they interacted with.
People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.

Even though I wasn't on edge the entire time while reading Insurgent, I will begrudgingly admit that this is no second book slump. If anything, there was something happening at all times. Normally, I'd love this about a book. Again, I'm the one who's off, apparently. I just felt like I was sort of floundering with the story branching off into a place where so many characters' motives were questioned, considering we weren't reading a mystery book. The simulations were still pretty creepy though. I'm not sure why these cutaway scenes fascinate me, but they do.

Tris :
If I could narrow down what I liked most about the book to one thing, I would have to go with some of her moments of self-discovery. Tris figured out more about what shaped her into being the person that she is and she continued to challenge what she knew on the quest to continue to make the choices that were right for her. Rarely, do female characters come along who can be seen as a role model for young women, and I think Tris is a fine example. Believe it or not, I had highlighted no less than 5 passages which showed Tris contemplating her decisions in a smart and impressive manner.

Four :
He is still badass, making him no less Dauntless, but this time around the layers of his mutli-faceted (view spoiler) personality shone through even brighter.

"Sleep, he says, "I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you."
"With what?"
"My bare hands, obviously."

*insert awwww here*

But even badass guys have their moments of uncertainty -

Not like Tobias, who is almost shy when he smiles, like he is surprised you bothered to look at him in the first place.

Me :
What? You didn't know that I was a character in the book? Okay, so I'm not, but this definition kicks ass and I'm stealing it for future use at a time when I need to oppose something while still trying to remember to hold on to some semblance of control.
"Insurgent," he says. "Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent."

(dictionary.com uses "forcible opposition" in their definition, which to me seems like it would go hand-in-hand with belligerent but what do I know?)

Final thought : Will I read book 3? Yes, I think I will. I wasn't wowed by Insurgent but it was still enjoyable enough. The complaints I've seen from some regarding the hazy world-building do make sense but it appears that we're getting little crumbs of information now that are explaining why things came about the way they did and I'm sure there are more tidbits to come in the future.

42 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Katy Jealous! I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail >.<

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh I hate that wait! There are only a couple of series I own in print anymore but of course I have to keep buying future installments in print because I can't not have the complete set!

The last time I was anxious for a book to come I ended up reading it in ebook form because the print copy took forever to get here.

Katy Mine says it will be here the third, which isnt too bad. Gives me time to at leadt finish one of the books I'm reading haha.

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Man! I still need to read Divergent, but I have been waiting to get it cheap. I may just have to cave in and pick up a volume from WalMart.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Katy, I hear you. There's never enough time. I feel like I'm always behind with something.

Crystal, is it terribly priced where you're at?

I'm still trying to get a hold of a copy of The Lies of Locke Lamora but I'm looking forward to reading it with you. As soon as I can get my copy, I'll let you know.

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Walmart has soft cover for $9 and Hardcover for $12 so I will probably go there.

Please let me know when you do! Mine is just waiting on the shelf for you to get yours :)

Katy I got my copy of divergent at walmart. totally worth the 8.97 :P

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I will probably head that way tomorrow!

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Tris was rather impressive, wasn't she? Glad Roth didn't water down the intensity from Divergent...gave Tris plenty of room for growth and bad-assery. I still think I'll need a re-read in order to fully appreciate this book, though. (Reading cover to cover sounds good, but I miss a lot of details that way.)

Stacia (the 2010 club) She really was. I wish I had the chance to do more re-reads. There's a few books that I would love to go back and revisit.

Carmen I didn't think it was that great, either.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think you and I are in the minority but it seems like I've been on a weird wavelength lately. :)

Carmen I think it was just kind of okay. I liked the ending, I look forward to seeing where she goes with it. I also like that the romance between Tris and Four/Tobias isn't the only thing motivating Tris to do anything, but I feel like its all leading up to some sort of massive explosion. I'll read the next one, of course, but I'm not holding my breath to love it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Same. I'll pick up book 3 but it's not going to be this burning need to pace and wring my hands because the book hasn't come yet. Although, I'm pretty sure I haven't ever done that before anyway, haha, but I'm sure there's a first time for everything.

Maree I'm with you guys. It was okay. I think I was still too annoyed by the characters when I wrote my review - I may have to go back and edit later

Stacia (the 2010 club) Did you do a rage review? I may have to go check this out!

Maree Not super rage, more a minor frustration with mutterings. ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) That's where I was at too. It wasn't a bad book but it could have been better.

Vickiann Divergent was definitely better. I look at this as a bridge book to the third one. It held my attention, didn't wow me, annoyed me slightly, but gets me to the third one where I do have expectations for a great ending.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I completely agree.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) I am with you, I liked Divergent much better than this second book. I'm looking forward to reading more of Four (view spoiler). Swoon.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Speaking of, I think there's a Four PoV I haven't read yet.

message 23: by Roxx (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roxx Stacia ~ mistress of mediocrity wrote: "Speaking of, I think there's a Four PoV I haven't read yet."

I think there is a short story somewhere from his POV and how he came to be Dauntless. Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story

Stacia (the 2010 club) That's the one. I forgot where to find it though. I'd like to figure out where it's located at.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) I read it when it was free, but now it is .99 cents. Here is the link: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Fr...

Stacia (the 2010 club) Bastards! Charging money for something that's a few pages! That should be a freebie gift, haha.

Thanks though. I appreciate it. :)

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) I vaguely remember it, I can send you a message with my limited memory, cliffs notes version. :)But yes, I agree, it should be free. I am surprised that the release date for the third book is Sept. 2013. Doesn't that seem far away?

Stacia (the 2010 club) That is far off. I rarely re-read books to refresh anymore because I have so much stuff to read but when it takes this long between books, it's hard not to when you know you'll forget stuff.

Trish I would agree with your summary. I enjoyed the book but I didn't love it like Divergent. And of course because I am curious I will read the next one too.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Absolutely. I can't not read on to see how it ends!

message 31: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy It comes out soon now!!