Jennifer's Reviews > Beekeeping: Self-Sufficiency

Beekeeping by Joanna  Ryde

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, bees
Read from March 05 to 17, 2012

An overview of beekeeping, this book reads like a magazine on Beekeeping. It's a mix of a few facts, fun tidbits, and lots of graphics. The book also includes several recipes in the back.

The book only covers "Modified National" hive, which most of us know as the Langstroth Hive. There is no mention of alternate hives, such as the top bar.

I'm sad by the overall tone that swarms are bad and hives should be gentle. But this comes from a person that has benefited personally from swarms, and would rather have a disease resistant hive. Yes, I like sharing my space with a hive that is gentle, but there are other reasons for a hive expressing defensiveness. Low food sources and predation may make your hive feistier than usual. And in these cases: your bees are trying to tell you something worth listening to!

Disease, something that most of us beekeepers spend a great deal of time considering and discussing is only granted four pages out of 128 in this book. For treatment, no organic or herbal methods are discussed, and integrated pest management only gets the tiniest of nods with a mention of screened bottom boards.

The intro is one of the best parts of the books. It asks the same questions that I often ask someone interested in beekeeping for the first time. Do you have the space? time? community support? a mentor? a local club or guild?

Overall, this book is a nice one to flip through for someone curious about beekeeping, but I'd hope a serious beekeeper would pursue more information well before purchasing hives or bees.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beekeeping.