Lynley's Reviews > Digital Painting Techniques: Volume 3: Practical Techniques of Digital Art Masters

Digital Painting Techniques by Robh Ruppel

Nov 14, 12

bookshelves: art
Read from March 05 to November 15, 2012

As a coffee table book showcasing fantastic digital artwork, this is wonderful. As a book about the process of creation, there is quite a bit of variation, which is inevitable given 21 different contributors. Some are more willing than others to let everyone behind the scenes, but a goodly proportion of them show polished images in every screenshot. I know my digital paintings don't look great at every step -- they look absolutely rubbish until they suddenly don't -- is that just me, then?

It seems most of the contributors to this book have background in the gaming industry. There's a lot of SFF type art, but I would have preferred a wider variety of styles -- some more painterly than photo-realistic.

Turning to the back of the book, it jumped out at me that only 2 out of the 21 tutorial artists are female, and only 1out of 18 of the gallery artists. I wonder if this is a reflection of the typical gender balance in digital art, or if the publishers didn't aim for diversity -- in style rather than in gender, I mean, but I suspect one influenced the other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Painting Techniques.