Sarah Doyle's Reviews > Wanting Mor

Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan

F_50x66
Mar 05, 12

Jameela is a young Muslim girl who lives in Afghanistan. Her live is filled with conflict when her mother dies and her father remarries, only to abandon her, leaving her to live in an orphanage. However, dealing with the loss of her family and a cleft lip, Jameela remembers the words her mother, Mor, always told her, “If you can’t be beautiful you should at least be good.” The book explores the hardships that Jameela faces where she learns that she is more than her outside imperfections and with hard work and her faith, people will appreciate, care for her, and come to love her. I think this is a great message for young girls and boys today that might struggle with caring more about their appearance than the qualities that lie within them.
Being a multicultural book, it focuses on a lot on the religion of the Muslims, and without this aspect, I don’t think the book would have turned out the same because Jameela uses her faith to help her overcome the battles that she faces. With that said, I enjoyed learning about some of the customs that Muslims have, while showing that people practice their faith in different ways, from how they dress to how often they pray. The book also covers social and economic issues, showing us a different world where people only wash dishes by hand, a bar of soap is a prize possession, and where riding in cars isn’t something that’s done frequently, if ever. The story also uses Pushto words within the text, which is the language that Jameela speaks. Although it helped me to better understand Jameela and her life, I found it a bit tiring having to go to the glossary in the book to find out the meaning of the new words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanting Mor.