Russ's Reviews > Chronicles: Volume One

Chronicles by Bob Dylan

190649
Aug 16, 08

bookshelves: 2008, autobiography, biography, entertainment, music, nonfiction
Recommended for: Music fans, people who like good writing, people from Minnesota
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I'm not a huge fan of Bob Dylan's music (can't stand his voice), but I thought this would be an entertaining read. And it was.

This isn't a standard autobiography. Would you expect that from Dylan? It's sort of a collection of stories, moments and memories. We go from Dylan's folk days in New York to times with his family, to the recording dates of one of Bob's albums, and back again to NYC. Some people are named, and some aren't. I'm curious about "wife." Don't you wonder what kind of woman would marry Bob Dylan?

The writing here is, of course, wonderful. Dylan peppers his chronicles with bits and pieces of really great insights. Some sentences are very poetic. Some day, I'm going to read this again with a highlighter and mark up the really good parts.

While reading this, you get hints and clues and part of the story, but not the whole thing. It would take ten of these books to tell Dylan's whole story. What really struck me was the section detailing the recording of "Oh Mercy." Dylan could have written about recording any of his albums, his most acclaimed, but he chose that one. You get the sense that each album has a similar story that could fill pages and pages.

The title of this book says it is Volume One, and I really hope there are more volumes to come. It was a pleasure diving into the world and mind of Bob Dylan. I like him better through the written word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicles.