Lynn Hallbrooks's Reviews > The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: my-friend-s-library-books
Read from March 05 to June 04, 2012

This is the second of Tom Clancy’s books that I have read. However, “The Hunt for Red October” was the first book written. I read “Without Remorse” based on my friend’s statement that it was the first book. As it turns out, “Without Remorse” is sort of a Prequel, based on chronological time lines for each book. On the other hand, each book has entirely different story lines and main characters.

According to the “About the Author” section, Mr. Clancy’s storyline for “The Hunt for Red October” was inspired by a newspaper article about a mutiny on a Russian frigate. Like many authors, Mr. Clancy did his due diligence on research and combined it with his imagination of what might happen. In his case he did this during times he wasn’t working as an insurance agent. I've read somewhere else that not long after “The Hunt for Red October” book was released; Mr. Clancy was brought to Washington, D.C. for some serious questioning. Having read this book, I can definitely understand why...it is chock full of details. The details while informative, especially if someone had never seen a submarine movie before, were also more than a little distracting to the action at times. Based on the time frame of the book, Cold War era, the main characters’ actions and reactions were quite believable. I know that the character Jack Ryan will occur in future Tom Clancy novels. I will be reading more Tom Clancy to see what happens because I feel certain that the movie version and the books will vary greatly.

Mr. Clancy’s love for detail seems to be a pre-dominate theme in both books. I’ve heard from several sources that this is not unusual. So if you haven’t read a Tom Clancy novel and are considering reading one, bare this factor in mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for Red October.

03/05/2012 page 14
04/16/2012 page 80
17.0% "Details, details, details...Mr. Clancy loves details."
show 16 hidden updates…

message 1: by Lewis (last edited Jun 10, 2012 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lewis Weinstein This is a good example of the way technological detail can add to a novel, something I did with early printing technology in my two historical novels. LEW ... http://lewweinsteinauthorblog.com/

Lynn Hallbrooks Lew,

Thanks for your comment.

I'm not opposed to details in books. They can add to the story. I do find it distracting when it's in the middle of the action though.

"Bestsellers" on your endeavors on your newest book.

Lynn

Lewis Weinstein That's the trick. Clancy made it part of the action, not an intruding add-on.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Dawson Lyn, stick with his early works. Don't go into the Ops or power play series. This books were written by a conglomeration of authors and gamers. I read Politika and was very disappointed. Cardnial in the Kremlin, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger as excellent.

Lynn Hallbrooks Lewis wrote: "That's the trick. Clancy made it part of the action, not an intruding add-on."

I agree that is tricky.

Lynn

Lynn Hallbrooks Jeff wrote: "Lyn, stick with his early works. Don't go into the Ops or power play series. This books were written by a conglomeration of authors and gamers. I read Politika and was very disappointed. Cardnial i..."

Thanks Jeff. I suspect that Cardinal in the Kremlin will tell a little more of one of the many subplots in "The Hunt for Red October". I really do like that the subplots play out in other books. Be they, prequel or sequel in nature.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Dawson If I remember correctly, Cardinal in the Kremlin stands on its own. I do remember it was an excellent read. Very fast paced and enjoyable.

Lynn Hallbrooks Jeff wrote: "If I remember correctly, Cardinal in the Kremlin stands on its own. I do remember it was an excellent read. Very fast paced and enjoyable."

Thanks Jeff. I'm sure it will be one of the next ones that I read by Mr. Clancy.