Babcock's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

F_50x66
Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: read-2012

Laugh out loud funny. She did spend a lot of time talking about sexism in the workplace, and the unique problems that women face in the work world, as women, and as working mothers. Her main point, as I perceived it, was that women shouldn't think they are competing with one another, that they are competing with everyone. Also it sounded like her solution (the only one I picked up on) was along the lines of 'be the change you want to see in the world.' That if women are sick of the bias, they need to work to get into positions of power and change things, that they shouldn't expect anyone else (ie men) to do it for you. I found it interesting how big a theme this was in the book, and how much time she spent on it because it wasn't a funny element of the book, but it obviously played a big part in shaping her, and her view. Another interesting element was how she seems to get so annoyed when people ask her if it's hard being the boss, the question really being asked is it hard being the boss since you are a woman?, 'no one asks Donald Trump that.' On the other hand she devotes a lot of energy to worrying about if she is doing the right thing by being a working mother. That dilemma doesn't seem to strike her as sexist, because no one ever asks men how they handle being a working parent.... Anyways, I would totally recommend this book, it was interesting and hilarious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.