Jenny's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read, fantasy, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

The minute I found out that Shadow and Bone was fantasy with inspiration from Imperial Russia--I knew I had to read it. The nation of Ravka is split into two by an unknown darkness known as the Shadow Fold. Its filled with monsters which makes crossing extremely dangerous. Add to the fact that the country is bordered by two nations who would love to see its demise.

Alina is a apprentice mapmaker in the army but there’s more to her than meets the eye as her dormant powers are discovered by the Grisha, who wield magic, and she is whisked away to the capital to be trained. She becomes extremely important to both Ravka and its enemies as she holds the power to destroy the Shadow Fold. Alina always saw herself as a pretty plain girl so even with all the attention from the Grisha, readers get to see the changes and the way it ends up affecting her.

The ending was nice and not your typical cliffhanger because there’s peace for now but you know there’s definitely more to come in the next book…and I for one cannot wait.

Overall, Leigh Bardugo created a intricate world filled with history and magic. The characters were multi-faceted and even some of the secondary characters left a lasting impression with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.