Claire's Reviews > Leaving Paradise

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

May 07, 13

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read in May, 2013

In the book “Leaving Paradise” by Simone Elkeles, the authors main purpose was to try and entertain and to relate to the readers. The reader starts the book off from the point of view of one of the two main characters. It makes it interesting and grabs your attention because you are able to see his point of view and learn the background information on him. The next chapter switches the point of view of the characters again and you are able to learn the juicy background information of the other main character. The main audience of this book would be teenage girls. So, she has problems in the book that teenage girls would be able to easily relate to. Such as, the main character, Maggie, is in love with a guy who doesn’t deserve her; which happens a lot to teenage girls.

In this book, it seems like the author is trying to show that it is okay to forgive people after they make a big mistake, and that people do deserve a second chance. In the book, Caleb, who is one of the main characters, makes a big mistake one night, which affects Maggie in a very strong way. At first, Maggie isn’t sure what to do about Caleb’s mistake. At first she avoids him.. But eventually, she realizes that he is the right guy for her. She just had to open herself up to him again.

Each chapter of this book was told from a different point of view. It went back and fourth from the point of view from Caleb, and then when to the point of view of Maggie. Having the chapters set up like this, you were able to see the point of view from both Caleb and Maggie and really get to understand their opinions and thoughts on the events going on in the book. You were able to see how Maggie and Caleb’s thoughts about how they felt each other changed throughout the book. You were able to see their relationship from after the mistake, to about a year after the mistake.

I really liked reading this book. It was easy to read because it was easy to relate to and it was interesting. It really grabbed my attention from the beginning. As I was reading the book, it was easy for me to picture exactly what was going on in the book. I really liked being able to see the point of view from both Maggie and Caleb. It kept the book interesting because you got to see the events going on from two different points of view. I loved this book. I love how it ended with a romance that you didn’t expect. There is nothing about this book I would change. The only thing that I disliked about this book is that I wish that it would have been longer. After I read this book, I had to read the second book of the series, “Return to Paradise”, which was just as good as “Leaving Paradise”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Paradise.