Heather's Reviews > Giant of the Sea: The Story of a Sperm Whale

Giant of the Sea by Courtney Granet Raff

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, for-the-little-ones, school-books-kid-books, science
Read in March, 2012

My 5-year-old loves whales. But not all whales. He especially loves sperm whales. We've looked all over both the local libraries trying to find books specifically about them. Nothing. There might be a picture or two, but he wanted a book only about sperm whales.

After lining up every whale book on the floor in the second library and not finding what he wanted, we took a chance and ordered this one on Amazon. I wasn't very excited since it had illustrations instead of pictures, but the choices were limited.

We got it in the mail 3 days ago and I think I've read it 20 times so far. Maybe more. This book is the ultimate in sperm whale books because it shows the mama whale eating a giant squid. That, my friends, is the whole reason he loves sperm whales....because they are big enough and tough enough to eat giant squids. He ran SCREAMING through the house, in sheer joy, when he saw the picture of the giant squid getting chomped in fist-sized teeth.

And then, to make it even better, there is an orca whale. The whale he hates with a passion. He was so excited to see the orca get schooled by the sperms. (That's why he hates orcas....because they try to eat baby sperm whales.)

In all, the book is very simple, and doesn't teach a whole lot about whales. You do learn some, but it's in such a gentle, non-teachy sort of way that you don't realize you learned they can stay underwater for up to 90 minutes. I'd prefer pictures to illustrations, but these were nicely done.

If your kid loves sperm whales, you can't get much better than this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giant of the Sea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trace (new)

Trace oh wow, thanks for this review. My 5 year old son LOVES whales and in particular sperm whales! I'll have to see if my library has this one.