Dlora's Reviews > My Double Life

My Double Life by Janette Rallison

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, romance
Read in March, 2012

I galloped through this in one day and really enjoyed the humor and complications and good sense of this teen novel. Alexia Gracia, being raised by her single mom and feisty abuela, has always been told that she is a double for pop star Kari Kingsley. When she is approached by Kari's manager to make some public appearances for the pop star, Alexia decides this is a great chance to make a pile of money for college. Against her mom's strenuous objections, Alex takes off for LA to be made-over, coiffed, and dressed. Pretending to be someone else, running from adoring fans, falling in love with the wrong guy, avoiding the same places as her double, and dealing with heartbreak and blackmail are all new experiences . . . and along the way Alex discovers some things about herself and what is important in life. While this novel doesn't have the depth or really great writing of, say, Before I Fall, it also doesn't have the gritty sleaziness, immorality, and vices either. It has a wholesomeness that attracts me and would make me recommend it to my granddaughters. . . . Oh, I just read what one reader said about this book and I agree: "When I want to laugh and feel all glowy good inside I reach for a Janette Rallison book. She certainly didn't disappoint."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Double Life.