P.J.'s Reviews > The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy

The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin

Aug 20, 12

Read in July, 2012

I'll admit I've been in a bit of a slump when it comes to middle grade reading. Maybe I've gotten pickier? Maybe I just haven't found the right books? But when I managed to snag an ARC of fellow-Austinite Nikki Loftin's debut novel, I started it and fell absolutely in love! And as it turns out, today is Nikki's release day, so please help me offer up congratulations for her and her amazing novel!

THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY by Nikki Loftin (Razorbill , August 21, 2012)

Five quick things about THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY:

1) It's middle grade. And even though I've mentioned I've had a hard time recently finding books I love in this category, this one completely proved me wrong. The funniest thing is that about a year ago Nikki and I were having just this conversation...about how finding middle grade that really hooks the reader is hard. And Nikki said, "wait for my book."

I love that she was right!

2) It's a Hansel & Gretel retelling set in today's world. And with this retelling and the many references to food in the novel, I will be thinking about eating sticks of butter and crab shells forever. But in a good way :)

3) It's creepy and cool and clever and unique. Truly, this novel takes a story from ages ago, sets it in our world, not at a boarding school, with parents around and everything, and makes it such a treat to read.

4) Don't let the title scare you. It took me many a try to remember even what it was.

5) It's amazing! A fun read that will keep you turning pages until the very last minute! And late into the night. And while you are eeking out your last few days of summer at the pool. Grab this book. Read it. And then pass it on to kids you know!

I gobbled this one up just like the kids gobbled food in the story. And I loved every minute of it. Highly recommended for boys and girls (seriously, both will love it), third grade and up.

Source of book: From publisher by request
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy.