Sharon's Reviews > White Witch

bookshelves: young-adult, netgalley
Read from March 09 to 11, 2012

More of my reviews @

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

White Witch by Trish Milburn is the first book in the Coven trilogy and was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Bell Bridge Books.

Jaxina Pherson a.k.a Jax Taylor is on the run from her father and coven of powerful black witches to find normality in a small community in the mountains of North Carolina. She yearns to attend school, have a few friends and maybe even a boyfriend but knows if she is caught her punishment would more than likely result in death.

On her first day in school she meets Toni and her cousin Keller, the son of a preacher and who she noticed when she first arrived, she recognizes him as a witch hunter but is inexplicably drawn to him.

White Witch was an exciting read; I loved seeing Jax find herself and accept what she was. I was also eager to learn more of the witch/human history and how the feud came about, it was fascinating; there is also a lot of angst as we are waiting to see what would happen if or when the coven caught up with Jax, it was an enjoyable anticipation.

Jax was a strong heroine, unbelievably beautiful, strong, fast and powerful; but she is yet to come into her full powers – she will gain these when she turns 17 and it is something that terrifies her for she will have to kill a human, she also knows if she gives into her feelings for Keller she could possibly lose all of her powers.

Poor Keller! He was certainly torn in his feelings for Jax but he adapted well and became a great protector although remained cautious, he had been taught from a young age to fear and kill Witches so being with Jax goes against everything he believes in. One thing that always puts me off is when a YA couple’s relationship becomes intense too fast and I feel this was the case in this book, I wish there could have been more of the forbidden hunter/hunted relationship shown rather than it focusing on the romance.

Each of the secondary characters were great, especially quirky Toni who I thought was a fantastic best friend. Stacey was the typical clichéd mean girl but Jax handled her well. I am intrigued by runaway witch Egan, he was fascinating and seems to know a lot.

I really enjoyed Ms Milburn’s fresh and engaging writing, the plot was interesting but unfortunately, nothing stood out to set it apart from other YA novels; The drama, characters and the magic though made for a really great little book, it was a quick and enjoyable read and I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Bane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Witch.