Meg C's Reviews > Ocean of Blood

Ocean of Blood by Darren Shan

F 50x66
Mar 05, 12

Because this book is a fantasy novel, the author’s reason for writing this book is not stated. But because I have read all thirteen books leading up to this one, I know that the author wrote this book in order to give more information about the past of one of the protagonists of his first series, Larten Crepsley. The first series of books leading up to Ocean of Blood is called the Cirque Du Freak Series. The Saga of Larten Crepsley which includes Ocean of Blood is actually a series of stories detailing Larten Crepsley’s life as a young vampire and how he came to perform in The Cirque Du Freak. The author’s one and only reason for writing this book is to inform the reader of Larten’s past experiences.

The theme of this book is friendship. Being a vampire in the middle of the Civil War and having no family left to lean on causes Larten to have friendships he never could have dreamed of. He becomes lifelong friends with his teacher and mentor Seba Nile and a brother to his childhood friend Wester, all who are vampires. Sticking together and trusting one another allows Larten and his companion to remain alive in the dangerous world of the vampaneze (human-killing vampires). Because Larten and many other like him do not kill their victims when feeding, there is a feud between the vampires and the vampaneze. Being alone in the battle means certain death.

This book is a narration because it tells events in chronological order. This is a very effective style of writing because the author’s reason for writing this is to give additional information about a character. The author gets the reader to feel compassionate about the protagonist by telling the story from a third person point of view.

I really liked this book. Even though it sounds lame because it’s about vampires (and everyone is sick of vampires by now), this book is really fantastic if you read the first thirteen books. Darren Shan is a really great author and he puts a lot of passion into his writing. I would not change anything about this book because I have read so many like it; I can not get enough!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ocean of Blood.