Samantha Boyette's Reviews > Chosen

Chosen by Ted Dekker

Mar 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in March, 2012

So apparently I was very confused reading this book, because I thought it was a sequel to the Land of Elyon books by Patrick Carman. Apparently Elyon is a well known name for God, who knew? All the same, this book was pretty good.

The book follows four teenagers as they quest to prove that they are worthy of being new leaders of the forest guard against evil beings known as the horde. Yes, the four of them are very stereotypical as many people have said, with the main character being the smart, quiet guy who is stronger than everyone realizes. Yes he is chosen as the one in all the land who can save the land. Yes, yes, yes. Here's the thing, there's a reason people use that sort of plot SO much, because if it's done right it makes for an awesome story.

I can ignore the overused cliches in this book because the over arching story was good. I wanted to know who the horde were, and I wanted to know if the young soldiers were going to make it. The whole thing was pretty darn exciting if you ask me. Now, maybe if I had read the series for adults that this is based on, I wouldn't have felt that way.

My main complaint would be the fact that this is is marketed as a YA novel, while it reads much more like a middle grade novel. That's fine, it's still a good book. The other complaint is using Alucard as the name of one of the bad guys. People, this is so overused. We get it, Dracula was evil and you can spell his name backwards.

Overall though, this struck me much like the Land of Elyon series did. They both feel like contemporary Narnia books where it is clear that the author has some very strong Christian beliefs, but I really don't care about that because the story itself in engaging and exciting.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen.