Rachel's Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Mar 05, 12

Read in March, 2012

So disappointed in this book. I wanted badly to love it as I have really liked Sanderson's other books.

For someone who should be 'brilliant' at writing..... he really failed in my opinion in, "The Alloy of Law". The story line is flat.... it doesn't stand up to the, "The Mistborn" series at all. It's as if someone else wrote this one. I could look that over if it weren't for the language! Why in the world Sanderson all of a sudden feels he has to use foul language non stop is beyond me! The characters in the book are ladies and lords. They did NOT use foul language back in the time frame depicted in the story, especially a lady.

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again. If you have to resort to foul language to sell anything..... then you really aren't brilliant or educated. Especially someone who teaches creative writing for a living along with writing novels. My opinion of Sanderson has plummeted.

As my fifteen year old son put it....... I guess he's starting to use cuss words in the hopes of getting more readers....... hmmmmm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aaron I could have done without the language, but I don't think it's fair to say that "they did NOT use foul language back in the time frame depicted in the story, especially a lady." It's a fictional setting. The time frame of the story has never actually happened. There are characters who are ladies and lords, but there are also characters who are old-West-style lawmen and outlaws.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Mar 06, 2012 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rachel Not that it would be okay, but if it were only the male characters because they were lawmen/outlaws..... but having the female lead character who was a 'lady' using language....... It is a fictional setting and time frame but it is patterned after a real time frame where people of status didn't speak that way. Regardless, whether they did or didn't...... Sanderson didn't have to use the language that he did. And that is the root of my real feelings toward the book. Sanderson knows better, and that makes it all the more disheartening. Authors who I feel are truly brilliant, write about harsh people/times/conditions/etc. and are able to do so in such a way that you know the characters use foul language but it isn't written or said.

message 3: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Shedd-stewart I would like to point out that Brandon is coming from writing the WoT and in that series characters swear frequently. At no point did the book exceed a pg13 swear word usage.

Tami I honestly didn't even notice the "foul" language. Weird.