Anne Crotty's Reviews > The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in March, 2012

I couldn't put this book down. It takes place in the South in the 1800's. A little white girl, Lavina, is orphaned on a voyage from Europe to America. She is brought home to the plantation of the ship captain where she is raised in the "kitchen house" by the captain's slaves. As she grows Lavina tries to be part of the white world in the "big house" and the slave world in the "kitchen house". As Lavinia gets older she becomes lost between the two worlds...realizing that she can never fully belong to either world.
In spite of the sometimes desperate situations depicted, the book is also, often funny, and joyful The suspense kept me reading. The last 1/4 was a bit more difficult to get through as it becomes apparent that there will not be a 100% happy ending for the characters involved.
I finished the book last night and found myself "missing Lavina" and all of the wonderfully developed characters in the novel. There is much sadness in the story. The author does a wonderful job of showing the loyalty, and warmth of the slaves...even under horrid circumstances.
This book is a must read for those who love historical fiction as well as those who just enjoy a well-written, suspenseful read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen House.