Mandy Moody's Reviews > Lucifer's Hammer

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven

Lucifer's Hammer is one of the first books I read at my husbands (then boyfriends!) urging. That was 10 years ago. In the decade since, I've picked up Lucifers Hammer half a dozen times. Each time I've come away happy.

Some people have complained that this book is a slow start, and I will agree that there's a lot of set up before anything actually happens. However, this is a BOOK - not a movie or a television show. Invest some time in it and let the authors tell their story, because they do a very good job of it, and I believe all the back story of the first 150 pages really helps the reader to CARE about the characters.

This is an end of the world story that goes beyond the end to what would REALLY happen. Another reviewer said "Take a few weeks to read this book, and you will see the world through new eyes. Deep Impact, Asteroid? Those were hack jobs. This one brings the science and realism to the tremendous effects of a 'glancing' comet strike, and makes it clear how easily our stability can be lost."
Since reading this book I have an almost cynical view of society and how quickly I believe it would collapse in on itself. I also keep a VERY well stocked pantry ;)

Love, love, loved this one. It's a rare combination of being a really FUN read and being very thought provoking.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer's Hammer.