Erin's Reviews > Highland Nights

Highland Nights by Donna Grant

Mar 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

This is my favorite of the three sister's books. I found both Fiona and Gregor to be compelling characters and a perfect fit for each other.

Fiona has difficulty opening up because she has felt abandoned all her life (by Moira). She want's nothing to do with the prophecy or the man that has come to take her away. She firmly believes that she can seal away her heart, to protect herself from being abandoned again, and be the one to walk away from her family, her mate, and anything else that may harm her.

Gregor has a deep dark secret from which he feels he can never recover from. I happen to be a big sucker for hero's with guilt trips, mostly because it shows just how deep emotions these types of men have. Because of this guilt, Gregor fights having anything he truly wants, family, friends, love, and it clouds his view of his actions. He always sees himself as being the mercenary, despite him acting like a good man.

Ms. Grant continues her theme of abandonment of Fiona over and over in the book, which helps the reader understand Fiona's reactions towards Gregor and why she desperately both pushes him away and pulls him closer to him. This dichotomy also feeds Gregor's misinterpretation of Fiona's actions.

Unlike Glenna in the first book, the reader has better understanding of the depth of Fiona's character and her actions make sense within the story that was created. I also thought the growth of Gregor's character and his ability to not just trust and open up to Fiona, but also the growth of his friendship with Conall was both subtle and natural. As a reader, I was rooting for him to over come his past and was glad to see this flow well within the story.

Of course the overarching story plot was moved forward, secrets of the Fae and the couple were uncovered as we move on to the third book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Nights.