Jon's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Nov 14, 13

bookshelves: arc, e-books, netgalley, favorites, fantasy, love-triangle, must-read-2012, wizards-witches-warlocks
Recommended to Jon by: Veronica Roth
Read from October 05 to 06, 2012

Find this review at City of Books

Words can't describe how much I loved this book. Shadow and Bone is a terrific book that is for fans of Harry Potter and Graceling. Shadow and Bone takes place in the land of Kavka, a world of magic and mystery. Kavka is ruled by the King and his mysterious Darkling his second in command. Alina is a orphan who becomes a cartographer in the army with her friend Mal. In the heat of the moment Alina displays a unique power that shows that she is a grisha. Grisha have the ability to do magic and are higher class citizens.

Shadow and Bone has been picked up for a film at Dreamworks and the producer of Harry Potter will be the producer for this movie. I can't tell why Dreamworks wants to make a movie because it is an excellent story of good vs. evil.

Leigh Bardugo created a world that is so original and unique. The world of Kavka is definitely one of the best settings for a book. The world building is very developed, and seems like an interesting world to live in. The descriptions for the Grand and Little Palaces were very vivid and life-like. I felt like I was standing in Kavka with Alina at any given moment in the novel.

The characters of Shadow and Bone were nothing short of spectacular. Alina was a heroine that wasn't annoying at all in a market full of Bella Swan-like annoying, and whiny protagonists. Alina was a protagonist that I really liked because she was smart, and she really kicked butt. Alina and Mal were a great couple and both were characters that I look forward to reading about.

The Darkling is a character like no other. In the beginning of the novel I found him to be fascinating my fascination didn't cease. I still am ruminating how awesome and horrible he is. You will love and hate the Darkling, he is that mysterious.

Shadow and Bone is like nothing I have ever read. This book amazed me with a fast paced plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. Shadow and Bone is a ground-breaking debut that is the next YA phenomenon. I expect great things from Leigh Bardugo and I need the sequel like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles need Pizza! Step aside J.K. Rowling, Leigh Bardugo is here with the next big magical adventure.
Thank you Henry Holt and Co. for providing me with a digital ARC through Netgalley!
5/5 Stars
Must Read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

Quotes Jon Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“The problem with wanting," he whispered, his mouth trailing along my jaw until it hovered over my lips, "is that it makes us weak.”
Leigh Bardugo, Shadow and Bone

10/05/2012
40.0% "Very magical and interesting. I can't believe I read 40% in one sitting!"
10/06/2012
89.0% "Wow. This book is just zooming by. I don't know why I waited so long to read it."