Kayleigh's Reviews > Cannery Row

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Oct 04, 2016

bookshelves: classics, favorites, american-experience
Read in October, 2016

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cannery Row.

Quotes Kayleigh Liked

John Steinbeck
“It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.”
tags: life

John Steinbeck
“And everywhere people asked him why he was walking through the country.
Because he loved true things, he tried to explain. He said he was nervous and besides he wanted to see the country, smell the ground and look at grass and birds and trees, to savor the country, and there was no other way to do it save on foot. And people didn't like him for telling the truth. They scowled, or shook and tapped their heads, they laughed as though they knew it was a lie and they appreciated a liar. And some, afraid for their daughters or pigs, told him to move on, to get going, just not to stop near their place if he knew what was good for him.
And so he stopped telling the truth. He said he was doing it on a bet - that he stood to win a hundred dollars. Everyone liked him then and believed him.”

John Steinbeck
“Dora was having trouble with her income tax, for she was entangled in that curious enigma which said the business was illegal and then taxed her for it.”

09/06/2016 marked as: read
09/06/2016 marked as: currently-reading
09/06/2016 page 1
0.0% "Re-reading for the first time in years. I adored Steinbeck in high school--let's see if this one stands the test of time."
10/04/2016 marked as: read