Auntee's Reviews > One Foot in the Grave

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Jul 16, 09

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, 2009_reads, keepers, husband-worthy_hero
Recommended for: Any paranormal fan, but especially fans of JR Ward and Kresley Cole
Read in July, 2009

The most reading fun I've had all year! Can I give this book more than 5 stars? This book has it all--the totally unique characters, the imaginative story line, the ultra witty dialogue, the set-the-sheets-on-fire bedroom action, the kick a** heroine, and the number one, sexiest bad-boy 'Master' vampire of all time, the swoon-worthy Bones! Oh my, he may have just replaced Rhage as my all-time favorite vamp! God, the things he says and does...words cannot describe his utter hotness...to try to do so would do him a disservice.:)

This book was just jam packed with goodies from the start with nary a slow spot. Half vamp/half human Cat and vampire bounty hunter/former gigolo Bones are temporarily broken up (I never thought it would last 4 years!--how could she keep herself from him for 4 years?) but the way Bones comes back into her life (*sigh*) you know that Cat doesn't stand a chance in hell of resisting him! Cat has a whole new career working for the government as a Special Agent (complete with her own team of men--who all deserve their own books, btw), ridding the world of some really unsavory vampires. There's lots of grisly battles, but Cat's a tough, cool customer, and can handle anything, except when it comes to her feelings for Bones. And once he steps back into her life you know she's toast.

There's lots of violence and some grisly scenes involving some bad vamps (I'm in awe of Jeaniene Frost's wicked imagination), but there's no skimping on the romance. The pages just come alive whenever Cat and Bones are together, and the big romantic scene when Cat tells Bones to not hold back and that she wants all that he can give her...whew...have plenty of ice ready, because you're going to need it! Hot, hot, HOT!!

I loved the cat fight (no pun intended) between Cat and the first vamp that Bones 'made', the Susan Sarandon look-alike and devilishly skanky Annette--go Cat, put that b**** in her place! I loved the remark that Cat made to her teammate Tate (who has an annoyingly mad crush on her) while defending her relationship with Bones--"Once you go dead, no one's better in bed." This book was filled with those witty remarks, icluding this one from Bones to Cat..."Hallo, luv. Long time no taste.":)

And finally, I loved how the book built and built until the final showdown between Cat and her long lost Daddy vamp, and the vamp who originally 'made' Bones--awesome fight scene that had me on pins and needles and outrageously witty dialogue. And just when you think you've read it all and had enough, Frost throws a big fat curveball at the end and provides some more "ghoulish' entertainment that would make Stephen King proud!

Well, I could go on and on about all the entertaining sequences in this book, but what I loved the most was the staggering love between Bones and Cat--they are without a doubt my favorite paranormal romance couple. I just can't get enough of them--they are scorchingly hot! I don't know what else Jeaniene Frost has in store for them, but I'm ready. Bring on At Grave's End! 5 big stars!
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Foot in the Grave.

Quotes Auntee Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“...cursing my heels and debating whether it was faster to stop and take them off--damn ankle straps!--or keep running with the potential neck breakers. Wouldn’t that make a charming epitaph? Here lies Cat. Killed not by fang, but Ferragamos.”
Jeaniene Frost, One Foot in the Grave

07/13/2009 page 1
07/13/2009 page 129
36.13% "*sigh*"
07/14/2009 page 237
66.39% "Tate needs a girlfriend..."
07/15/2009 page 312
87.39% "Loved the cat fight..." 3 comments
07/15/2009 page 363
100% "Fantastic. Review coming...."
show 1 hidden update…

MelissaB Ohh did you read "the scene" yet?

Have you read the Psy/Changling series by Nalini Singh yet? Based on our similar tastes, I think you would really enjoy it.

Auntee Not exactly...okay to tell the truth I peeked a bit...and then I had to stop myself because I didn't want to ruin it!:0

Haven't read the Psy/Changling series yet--looks like I'll have to check it out though!:)

Dina Great review, Auntee! I see that you're still riding the Bones' train. ;)

Auntee Dina, you gotta hop on board--you won't regret it!:)

Dina Yeah, I know - I haven't read a "bad" review on these books yet - but I'm still working on overcoming my prejudice against books with 1st person POV. Do we get any insight into Bones' mind on these books? I really need to see the hero falling for the heroine.

message 6: by Shawna (last edited Jul 15, 2009 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Fantastic review, Auntee!! I agree with everything 100%!! This series has tied BDB for my favorite PNR series, Cat and Bones are my favorite romance couple, and Bones is my #1 hero/fav hot vamp!! Bones flat-out melts me!!!!

Auntee Dina wrote: "Yeah, I know - I haven't read a "bad" review on these books yet - but I'm still working on overcoming my prejudice against books with 1st person POV. Do we get any insight into Bones' mind on these..."

Oh you'll see it alright--in his words and actions--trust me, there's no doubt in my mind that he's completely ga-ga over Cat! And he's very romantic too!
And I'm not a lover of 1st person POV either, because I like to get inside the other characters minds too, but trust me--you won't notice or care!:)

Help me out here Shawna, we have to push Dina on the Bones train before it leaves the station...!:)

message 8: by Shawna (last edited Jul 15, 2009 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Dina, Auntee's right! The 1st person POV doesn't hinder this series at all because Cat's mind is a riot of delicious fun and Bones makes his feelings verrry loud and clear through his sexy words and actions! Get on the train...all aboard...whoo whoo!! :)

Dina LOL, ladies, I'm more than convinced that Bones is worth a try. ;) I already have these books on my Wish List, now I just need to move them to the Shopping Cart and click the "Proceed to checkout" button.

Auntee Nudge, nudge...click!:)

message 11: by Shawna (last edited Jul 15, 2009 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Nudge, nudge...click!:)"

LOL! You gals are crackin' me up! I love this site and the great pals I've made...even though it's bad for my bank account and work productivity! :)

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Work productivity? What's that? (LOL)

message 13: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 15, 2009 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adrienne Great great review Auntee.....just reading it brings out a great desire to read Chapter** again,and again and again.....um Bones!!

Tammy This one sounds like loads of fun! Great review Auntee. =)

message 15: by Tammy (last edited Jul 15, 2009 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammy Oh! And here is one of my favorite articles about work productivity. A smart ass friend sent it to me once! Just replace "MySpace" with "Goodreads" ... http://www.theonion.com/content/news/...

message 16: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Tammy wrote: "Oh! And here is one of my favorite articles about work productivity. A smart ass friend sent it to me once! Just replace "MySpace" with "Goodreads" ... http://www.theonion.com/content/news/......"

My favorite part: "Fucking around is in fact detrimental to the work process," the study reads in part. (LOL)

Shawna Tammy wrote: "This one sounds like loads of fun! Great review Auntee. =)"

It is...jump on board the Bones train Tammy!

message 18: by Shawna (last edited Jul 15, 2009 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Tammy wrote: "Oh! And here is one of my favorite articles about work productivity. A smart ass friend sent it to me once! Just replace "MySpace" with "Goodreads" ... http://www.theonion.com/content/news/......"

Oh...this made me snort with laughter at my cube!!

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Oh! And here is one of my favorite articles about work productivity. A smart ass friend sent it to me once! Just replace "MySpace" with "Goodreads" ... http://www.theonion.com/content/news/......"

ROFLMAO Tammy!:D

Tammy Glad to entertain ya'll again!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Dina wrote: "LOL, ladies, I'm more than convinced that Bones is worth a try. ;) I already have these books on my Wish List, now I just need to move them to the Shopping Cart and click the "Proceed to checkout" ..."

Auntee, are you sure you're not getting a percentage of Frost's profits?
Because maybe you should. :)

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina audball wrote: "I've caved Dina, cave along with me. I just bought all three books, which I never do without reading at least something by the author. LOL ..."

You weakling, LOL.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Dina wrote: "
You weakling, LOL."

I am :) Goodreads has made me powerless. LOL

Auntee audball wrote: "Dina wrote: "LOL, ladies, I'm more than convinced that Bones is worth a try. ;) I already have these books on my Wish List, now I just need to move them to the Shopping Cart and click the "Proceed ..."

Don't I wish! Can you imagine my review then?!:D

Dina, what's it gonna take? C'mon, you know you want to...if Bones was giving you the green-eyed stare, you'd do it in a minute!:D

message 25: by Shawna (last edited Jul 15, 2009 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Dina, what's it gonna take? C'mon, you know you want to...if Bones was giving you the green-eyed stare, you'd do it in a minute!":D

And drop her panties!! ROTFLMAO!!

message 26: by Dina (last edited Jul 15, 2009 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina You're killing me, ladies! If Bones is hot enough to make me drop my panties with only a stare, I need to meet him! ;)

Okay, I'm going to see if Amazon has the "Look Inside" feature available on the 1st book. If so, I'll have a sneak peek to see how the 1st person POV goes. I'll keep you posted.

Auntee You said it!!!!LOL!

Auntee Don't fear the 1st person Dina...if they don't have the "search inside" for this one I'll PM you some hotness to tempt you...:)

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Glad to entertain ya'll again!

I just read an excerpt from this author and loved it. Auntee, if you like this series you will like Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Pinky swear!!"

That's what I'm afraid of Tammy--aren't there 15 or 16 in that series??

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Tammy They are very fast reads and very funny. A neighbor has been bugging me to let her borrow my first Stephanie Plum. I finally gave in last night - VERY reluctantly handed it over to her and told her to be careful with it. I'm so pathetic! And Eyre, I'm a cupcake kind of girl. =)

Tammy Does anyone know how this Night Huntress series compares to Sookie Stackhouse? Just curious ...

Auntee Eyre wrote: "There are 15 in the series, not counting the in between the numbers books, but they are all very quick, entertaining reads. (I luv Ranger!)"

Fifteen huh? *gulp*

Tammy Oh come on! You read faster than I do Auntee!!! LOL!! I read the whole series in less than 2 months last summer, including the in-between-the-numbers novels. (But you can skip those in-between-the numbers and you'll hardly notice - they are really not that relevant to the series.)

You should go to evanovich.com and read excerpts for the first 6 books. That'll hook you!

message 35: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Auntee wrote: "Don't fear the 1st person Dina...if they don't have the "search inside" for this one I'll PM you some hotness to tempt you...:)"

Okay, I just read the sneak peeks available at Amazon and I'm OK with the 1st person POV. :) Cat's thoughts were so funny that I found myself smiling/laughing several times - and I only read a few pages! I also met Bones. He was a bit mean to Cat and I really didn't feel any of his hotness so far, but y'all say he's hotter than hell and I trust you, so what's left for me to do but buy the darn book already? (LOL)

The good thing is, I checked my local bookstore and they have Halfway to the Grave in store, so I won't have to order it from Amazon and wait a month to receive it. I'm getting this baby tomorrow, woo-hoo!

Auntee YAY! *Jumping up and down*
Another convert!:) It's like a chain letter or something!

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Oh come on! You read faster than I do Auntee!!! LOL!! I read the whole series in less than 2 months last summer, including the in-between-the-numbers novels. (But you can skip those in-between-the ..."

Okay, okay, I'm ashamed of myself.:) I'll go to the used bookstore tomorrow and see if I can find the first one--if I can, then I guess it's meant to be that I try and tackle another long series...(sigh)
I wonder if I'll be a Ranger or Morelli (is that his name?) girl...:)

message 38: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Auntee wrote: "And you're right Dina, Cat and Bones start out hating each other (more so on her part), but don't worry, that won't last!:)"

I like love/hate stories, so this is icing on the cake. :)

Tammy Yay!! I'll be looking for your first review. Ranger is yummy - no doubt about that - but Morelli is the reformed bad-boy who will eventually settle down.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find the first one (One for the Money). The series is very popular at B&N and Borders. There are always copies on PBS too.

Tammy Dina, I just found copies of this series in ebook format! Wish I could find it in audio tho.

message 41: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Tammy wrote: "Dina, I just found copies of this series in ebook format! Wish I could find it in audio tho."

Good to know, Tammy. Thankfully, I was able to find a printed version at my local bookstore, so I'm all set. I only resort to ebooks when I can't find them in print easily. I know, it isn't PC but I love the smell and feel of dead trees, LOL.

Tammy I couldn't agree with you more. I like to see my books all lined up in nice, neat rows on my bookshelves. But the ebook thing works for me at the office when I read during my lunch breaks (or simply want to goof off!)

Adrienne Tammy wrote: "Does anyone know how this Night Huntress series compares to Sookie Stackhouse? Just curious ..."

IMHO and I've read both series , they are totally different and Night Huntress has the edge.

message 44: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz I'm wondering now if I should the whole series all at once (!)

message 45: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Eastofoz wrote: "I'm wondering now if I should the whole series all at once (!)"

I'm getting the 1st 2 books together. "Everyone" who has read these books says that the 1st book ends in a way that you can't help but want to dive straight into the 2nd book. Since we're late to the party, we can read those books one right after the other, but I wonder how those people who read the 1st book when it came out felt having to wait I don't know how long for the release of the 2nd book.

message 46: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Dina I think you said earlier that it's the 1st person POV that has you a bit leery, well same here along with the fact that's it's a bit UF which is not something I like --but damn you've tempted me with the "everyone" part (lol!)

message 47: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina East, I don't like the 1st person POV, I don't like UF, but I caved after reading tons of raving reviews about this series and checking the "Look Inside" feature available at Amazon. Take a look there and see how you feel. If it doesn't grab you, you can always wait to see how I like it considering we have the same "fears". I'm picking up the books at the bookstore today. If real life doesn't get in the way, I'll be finished with the 1st book this Saturday.

message 48: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Well I'll be looking for your review for sure then Dina :D

message 49: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Eastofoz wrote: "Well I'll be looking for your review for sure then Dina :D"

Okay, East, there's nothing like a friendly pressure! Oh well, I put it on my shoulders by myself, LOL.

I hope Auntee and Shawna don't beat the crap out of me if I end up ditching the Bones' train. ;)

Tammy Adrienne - thanks for the info. I picked up this series last night and dove right into the first book. I can definitely see a difference between the two series.

East and Dina - I hardly notice the first person POV. The books are well-written and loads of fun. Definitely reminds me of reading the Stephanie Plum series the first time thru. =)

« previous 1