Pang's Reviews > The Stranger's Child

The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst

May 26, 12

bookshelves: tob2012, historical-fiction, why-did-i-bother, tob
Read from May 21 to 26, 2012

I just don't get this book. The theme of the book is supposed to be tied to Alfred Lord Tennyson’s poem “In Memoriam A.H.H.”:
Till from the garden and the wild
A fresh association blow,
And year by year the landscape grow
Familiar to the stranger’s child.
I just can't wrap my mind around who's "the stranger's child." Is it the homosexual culture in England throughout the time of the book? Is that it?

Regardless, the book was boring. The first chapter was fine. I felt like I had something to look forward to in chapter two, but then I found that the story had just leapt forward 10 some years. I had to figure out who's who, when I still felt like I didn't get to know the characters from the first chapter well enough to find out about a new set. Then there was nothing for me to grab on to. It was like reading other people's conversations about something I could care less for. And I couldn't even muster the strength, as I normally would with questionable books, to go at least half way. Life's too short. Moving on to the next book on my list!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranger's Child.

05/25/2012 page 152
34.0% "this has a decent start, but slowly turning into a huge bore."