Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Anew

Anew by Chelsea Fine

I am well and truly sick of unresolved love triangles. The writing of this book is good enough. The characters are strongly presented and the story progresses right along. But I had two problems with the book and they dropped my enjoyment immensely.

First, as I said above, love triangles are completely overdone right now and I just don't feel like tolerating another. I like Gabriel and setting him up against his brother is just cheap. Yeah, you can see they're both sincerely devoted to Scarlet, but they're also both setup to be the standard driven bad boy vs. kind milquetoast. Ugh.

Second, the author is unnaturally coy about elements of the plot. From the first time we meet him, Tristan is trying to end a curse by killing someone. The details of the curse and who he is trying to kill are left completely obscured way past the point of it being mysterious. During one conversation, Tristan cuts a friend off before he gets to the name and that's just cheating. Tristan has no reason to cut him off beyond that the author wants to maintain the "mystery". I got so impatient, I went and read some less-than-discreet reviews just to see what the heck was going on. Seriously, I completely fault the author for that degree of coyness and it completely ruined my desire to finish the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anew.

03/06/2012