Ian "Marvin" Graye's Reviews > The History of the NME: High Times and Low Lives at the World's Most Famous Music Magazine

The History of the NME by Pat Long
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of the NME.

message 1: by D. (last edited Mar 05, 2012 03:35PM) (new) - added it

D. Pow I can't tell you how religously I read this when I was teenager. It was my listening Bible, my lifeline to what was cool. I'm a California kid so, of course, this shows how odd I was. But I worshipped at the shrine of early Weller amd Morrissey and this was the place to go...(

message 2: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I've bought every issue since 1977.

I found out about this book from Rock's Back Pages:

I was obsessed by Morley, Penman and that era.

message 3: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye what is that?

message 4: by D. (last edited Mar 05, 2012 03:34PM) (new) - added it

D. Pow a typo in my post!

Ian, that is wacked that you have every issue since '77. frigging amazing...

message 5: by Ian (last edited Mar 05, 2012 03:46PM) (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I started buying it in about 75, but didn't keep my copies. Much to my wife's frustration, I have all these issues in my library plus Uncut and a whole lot of Mojo's.

Before 75, NME articles used to be syndicated to an Australian mag called RAM.

That's where I got addicted to Charles Shaar Murray and Nick Kent and Mick Farren.

message 6: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow I love Nick Kent. Mojo is great. Rolling Stone has totally stolen their reviews layout design.

I used to read Melody Maker and The Face in addition to NME. Though I think The Face was as much fashion as music.

message 7: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I started reading RS in the early seventies, when it was actually banned as a subversive publication in my state.

There was a writer called Charles M Young a bit later who wrote good stuff on punk and new wave.

I hardly ever buy RS anymore.

I was always NME versus MM.

I was really into The Face when it first came out, but it became fashion obsessed and I stopped buying it.

It had beautiful layout.

message 8: by Gayle (new) - added it

Gayle I was always NME as opposed to MM too. As a teenager, I had it on order at the local newsagents, but never had enough money left over from buying records, so the newsagent would grump about it to my grandfather, who would often come home with seven or so NMEs muttering about the weirdos under his breath...I hung onto my collection for many years until donating them to a collector in my early 20s. I did keep the ones with Nick Cave, David McComb, Go-Betweens and other momentous stuff on the cover, still have about 10. Have to say I lost interest in it early in the century as I decided that it had become a bit crap...

message 9: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye NME goes up and down, depending on what fad they're into.

I don't follow particular writers like I used to though.

Lynden Barber, who sometimes writes film reviews for The Australian, used to write for MM. (I thought he would have made a good NME writer, before they were bought by the same company and merged.)

At the time, he had a relationship with Marie Ryan who used to do a monthly English roundup for RAM, and they moved here (she was Australian).

message 10: by Gayle (last edited Mar 05, 2012 07:54PM) (new) - added it

Gayle I loved RAM. Far too short lived!

message 11: by D. (last edited Mar 05, 2012 07:56PM) (new) - added it

D. Pow Gayle, The Go-Betweens are one of the great underrated bands of the last thirty years. Grant McLennan did some brilliant solo stuff too. Horsebreaker Star is a favorite of mine. Shame he died so young.

I couldn't tell you who writes what at NME anymore. The tone has become so snarky and dismissive.

Love that Lynden Barber link, Ian.

message 12: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye Short lived but well-loved.

message 13: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye Ha ha, The Go-Betweens are one of the great overrated bands.

message 14: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow Ha Ha! we disagree... I suspect my tastes are a bit more proletariat than yours.

message 15: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye D.E. wrote: "Ha Ha! we disagree... I suspect my tastes are a bit more proletariat than yours."

I wouldn't say that. I just think the Go-B's were ambitious non-proletarian try hards, more literary than musical.

If you want real talent, you can't beat Nick Cave, David McComb and the Triffids, and Ed Kuepper/The Saints.

I also have a big soft spot (or is it a wetspot?) for Died Pretty.

message 16: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow I love Nick Cave. A damned good writer too.

I don't know many Aussie acts. Loved Midnight Oil and The Wiggles.

message 17: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye You might also like Hi 5.

What other bands are you into now?

message 18: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow I've been listening to a lot of Americana, Ian. Alejandro Escovedo, Ryan Bingham, etc. and old blues like Charley Patton. and the modern classical composer Arvo Part.

message 20: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow brilliant young songwriter. great video. thanks, man.

message 21: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I hadn't heard any until I saw Crazy Heart and I just got obsessed with the film and its soundtrack.

Haven't investigated Alejandro Escoved yet.

I have a sneeking feeling I've come across Arvo Part, possibly in some Velvet Underground context. I'm away from home and can't check my music.

message 22: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow The Crazy Heart soundtrack is damn fine. Better than the movie?

Ryan Bingham's solo stuff is worth trying.

I've been listening a lot to the new Leonard Cohen too...

just don't follow music the way I used to.

message 23: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye I bought one solo album and enjoyed it. I've seen the film about three times. I'm just a big Jeff Bridges fan and was sure the stars would be in alignment to get him an Oscar.

Haven't bought the new Cohen yet.

My music listening has suffered in the last 12 months, mainly because of GoodReads.

message 24: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow Good Reads can do that to you...

message 25: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian "Marvin" Graye ...not that I'm complaining.