Peg's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

3619122
Mar 05, 2012

Read from March 05 to 10, 2012

This book is an Advanced Reading Copy sent to me free-of-charge by GoodReads, FirstReads.

A Pro: I've enjoyed everything I've read by this author so was anxious to read her memoir. It's filled with lots of humor as she relates on many aspects of her life experiences. I feel the reader needs to be at least 50 years of age to relate to the many subjects the author covers, in other words, a "Baby Boomer." If older (like me) you can remember and compare to most of it; if younger, you might not be able to relate but perhaps can find it educational as to what we older ladies lived through.

Another pro: I like the author's writing style. It's easy to read and, when you need to put the book down, it's easy to pick up again and get back into the flow of things. This memoir was like having a close friend tell you stories about her life and you're sitting there nodding your head because you've been there, done that!

A con: I felt the many quotes from other people/sources were excessive and unnecessary. Ms. Quindlen's thoughts are sufficient.

Another con: Although I'm older than the author, we have the same religious upbringing but very different views on that faith. It seems to me she spent way too much time and space on listing all the faults she has with it, so why dwell on it? It was as though she was trying to justify her feelings. Many readers won't relate to her feelings and most readers just won't care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.

09/18/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Yes, but many of us 'of the same faith" DO care and share her views on how corrupt the church has become. I think you misjudge the number of readers 'won't relate.'