Toshi's Reviews > Tigana

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Nov 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Read from August 13 to November 09, 2012

Really enjoyed this book. All of the characters are realistic and deep. Every character has layers to their personalities and there are no cookie cutter villains or heroes. While I did side with a group of characters due to they order you get to know them, I did understand and sympathize with several others who would have been viewed as that first group's enemies. Even the characters themselves seem to understand that there's more to every situation than the simple answers, and it leads to some thought provoking moments.

The pacing is a bit slow at the start but the way that Kay writes made it so I didn't care. He fills the first section of the book with enough small things and tensions that you don't realize that no major plot points have happened until you're hours into the book. However, once the story gets rolling it doesn't let up.

The world of this novel is exteremely well crafted and you never get the feeling that some detail or other was a little too convenient. All in all one of my favorite novels of all time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.

Quotes Toshi Liked

Guy Gavriel Kay
“There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk.”
Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana

08/17/2012
16.0% "Book is awesome so far. The core plot is slow in coming, but the dialogue is masterfully written. Haven't enjoyed a book this much since The Wise Man's Fear."
show 2 hidden updates…