Danyelle Leafty's Reviews > Burn Mark

Burn Mark by Laura Powell

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: bookshelf-2012
Read from March 05 to April 25, 2012

3.5 stars. I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.

I loved the blurb and the concept, but the execution didn't really work for me. For some reason--I think it was a voice issue partly--I had a very difficult time getting into this book.

The story kind of dragged for me, but I loved the idea of witch street gangs and the Inquisition. I thought the world was interesting, if a little bleak. The world building was solid, but the plotting wasn't done as well.

Some of the characters' actions and motivations didn't make sense to me, and felt like they happened because of the plot rather than because they were things the characters would actually do.

The ending completely fell apart for me--even though I loved the twist about how and who was behind the recent attacks. But the way things went down--especially with one of the MC's getting caught (I could have bought it if the reason he got caught felt more plausible) and basically sat out the climax of the story. In my opinion, that was a big mistake, because it's taking a heretofore active character and turning him passive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Mark.