Emily's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: supernatural, romance, series
Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This is going to be a review full of a big bunch of spoilers. So, just be aware of that. This is the only warning you get. I'm jumping right on in that spoiler pool after I end this sentence.

Man was I glad she ended up with Loki. Her argument for not choosing Finn (as in when she was discussing it with Finn) was actually extremely valid and well thought out. I really feel like this love triangle took the right turn. Usually that doesn't work out the way I want it to. CoughJacobcough.

Here is a complaint. The night before her wedding, Wendy is all WHOA WHOA WHOA FINN GET YER HAND OUTTA MY PANTS because she doesn't want it to be a one night thing, right? She wants them to be a couple and since he can't or won't give her that (especially considering it is the eve of her wedding), she tells him she can't love him anymore.

So... where the fuck did her logic go when she was all HEY LOKI COME POP MY CHERRY.... BUT IT'S JUST THIS ONCE EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH ME. I mean, she pretty much put on Finn's logical shoes and took them for a spin with that situation. Lame.

As for the rest of the book, it played out as well as I hoped. No loose ends. It's easy to have loose ends with detailed fantasy stories such as the Trylle series. So, kudos on that. Although the last chapter felt more like an epilogue than a chapter. I don't know the rules about how to categorize sections of the book, but it just felt like it should have been an epilogue to me. Not a huge deal, though. And I prefer Trylle over My Blood Approves, although I like that series as well. I just feel like Trylle is much more well put together. I mean, Hocking pretty much created her own mythology and I found it to be a very satisfying read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.