Pam's Reviews > Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris

Death in the City of Light by David King

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: audio, non-fiction
Read in May, 2011

I was recommending this book to a friend and when I went to check my Goodreads review, I found that I had forgotten to rate the book or to write a review. Not the first time I have done that but this book was really good and I am making amends a year later. Death In the City of Light relates a story of a serial killer murdering over 100 in Nazi-occupied Paris during WWII. I have read quite a few books both fiction and nonfiction relating to this period and King’s book presents a totally different view from the others I have read. The story centers on Dr. Marcel Periot, also known as “The People’s Doctor.” He treated the poor and convinced many a patient that he could arrange for them to get away from the Nazi’s. Little did they know that they would become his next victims. Many ideas are presented as to how Dr Periot continued to get away with such a large number of deaths. Periot was most certainly a sadist killing for pleasure,but could he have been working for the French resistance or maybe Hitler and the Gestapo were encouraging his work. I would highly recommend this book. Not for the faint at heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in the City of Light.