Taylor's Reviews > Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

Mar 13, 2012

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, hard-copy, self-improvement
Read from March 05 to 13, 2012

As many reviewers have noted, Moonwalking with Einstein is not a manual for improving your memory. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating exploration of the general subject of memory. Joshua Foer investigates the history of memory technique, the culture of current memory "athletes", and some of the most extreme cases relating to memory, including savants like Kim Peek ("Rain man") and severe amnesiacs.

I loved Foer's absurd humor, as well as his curiosity and his skepticism. He questions everything, from the self-promotion of certain gurus in the field to the real value of memory training in a world where phones, computers, and Google can hold and analyze huge amounts of information.

Foer's conversational and humorous style reminds me of Mary Roach -- author of Stiff (on science using human cadavers), and I might even like him better. Definitely recommend this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonwalking with Einstein.