Emily's Reviews > Being Friends with Boys

Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

May 06, 12

bookshelves: humor, romance
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

I love tomboyish characters and stories where friends realize they have the potential, and want to explore that potential, to be more than friends. So, this book honestly just seemed like a winner for me.

It was good. And it was what I expected, just with less of a focus on the romantic possibilities of being friends with boys. The story follows Charlotte as she grows into her own person and observes the differences in friendships with girls and boys and also how complicated being friends with boys can actually become at times, despite the male's generally relaxed nature in comparison to the female's.

The whole time I was reading, I felt like I was riding some emotional roller coaster. She had friendships sprouting and ending left and right and at some points I was just like AHHHH and wanted to beg the book to give my brain/emotions a break... but I suppose this factored in to the realistic and authentic tone of the whole story.

And despite the number of characters, and trust me... there were a number of them, each character was easy to distinguish from the rest. And for the most part, they were pretty likable. Except for, you know, the characters that weren't supposed to be. And even those sort of ninja-ed into the scene. You never really knew when someone's motives were more or less than what they were letting on. You pretty much figured out the same time Charlotte did. Which, you know, again adds to the whole authenticity of the whole book.

A really good read, but not one I would suggest for quenching a thirst for fluff.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Friends with Boys.