Yolanda's Reviews > Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, non-fiction
Read on March 05, 2012

So, I remember when this book first came out. I was still working in the bookstore and we couldn't keep it on the shelf. People were always coming in asking for it. Because it was wildly popular, I was immediately turned off.

Cut to a few years later, I am now on the dating scene and figured reading something like this wouldn't hurt when it came to me dealing with guys. That and the movie is due out shortly.

sigh

The book wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. It was really simple. There was nothing that was presented that was a new revelation. Basically, according to Steve Harvey, all guys who approach you wants to sleep with you. You have all the power. Because you have the power you can decided what to do with it. Ok. I agree sorta kinda to a certain extent. You as a woman, should have standards about what you want and what you won't put up with. No surprise there. And you shouldn't give up the "cookie" until you have been dating for at least 90 days. Cause then you should have figured out that the guy is a keeper and is not just out "sport fishing". Um, ok.

This of course is coming from someone who has how many failed marriages? The only reason I give it 3 stars is cause the of the lady, Denene Millner, who actually wrote the book is a pretty awesome lady. I read her blogs and I respect her work a lot. The second reason it has 3 stars is the copy I read came from the library and had passages underlined through out. As if the lady who was just reading it was using it as a study guide for life. But what I found amusing was the underlined passages made no sense in being underlined. It was like reading a used history textbook but the important details, you know the dates, people's names and locations were NOT being underlined/highlighted but everything else was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ogodidit4me (last edited Jan 17, 2013 07:14PM) (new) - added it

Ogodidit4me I think it was nice that Mr. Harvey shared with the world what the actions of men really meant. Not another man has offered to do this for us women. While it may not have been enlightening to some for him to state the obvious, there are others that may not have had a mother, sister, or neighbor to state the obvious or honestly guide them concerning men for whatever reason. Again, this book was helpful. And this may be his 3rd divorce, 4th marriage? Whatever....when a person falls down, that's the best person to tell you how they fell. He has obviously played all the games and run all the lines...